What are Implant-Supported Dentures?
Implant-supported dentures are over-dentures that are fixed to the gums by mini implants. Regular dentures are not supported by implants and simply rest on the gums.
Why Would I Need Implant-Supported Dentures?
Implant-supported dentures in Cloverly & Silver Spring allow patients to experience more stability with their dentures. They are used for people who do not have any teeth in the jaw, but do have enough bone to support a mini implant. The denture will have special attachments that allow it to snap onto the mini dental implants.
Most people with dentures for the lower jaw prefer implant-supported dentures because the lower jaw tends to provide less support and stability. The upper jaw provides more stability and doesn’t necessarily require any extra support. If you chose, you can receive an implant-supported denture in either the upper or lower jaw.
How Will Implant-Supported Dentures Help Me?
If you are considering dentures that receive the support and stabilization from mini implants, there are several benefits.
- Overall improvement of confidence when talking, laughing, and eating in public.
- Overall comfort is improved because they are secured, feeling like natural teeth.
- They appear more natural than conventional dentures because there is less plastic needed for retention.
- There is less irritation of gum tissues, pain and canker sores are also eliminated with secured dentures.
- They prevent jaw shrinkage and bone loss that can occur over time with conventional dentures.
- With implant-supported dentures, you can eliminate the use of denture adhesives.
- They also allow you to taste food better.
Why Mini Implants Over Regular Implants?
Regular implants usually require two surgeries, several visits and a few months before they are ready to go. With mini implant-supported dentures, the mini implants can be placed in one visit, and the dentures may be attached the same day.
Mini dental implants will be placed in the jawbone. They are small implants made of titanium to mimic the tooth’s natural root. About six implants are placed to secure complete dentures on the upper jaw. For the lower jaw, four to five implants are used for complete dentures. Then the dentures are adjusted to properly snap into the mini implants.
This procedure is performed in one visit, and in some cases, may only take one hour. The benefit of mini implants is that the denture may be attached immediately after the implant is made and can be worn that day.
How Do I Care for My Implant-Supported Dentures?
It is recommended that you remove an implant-supported denture daily to clean the gum area and dentures properly. It is important not to sleep with the implant-supported dentures and instead to remove them at night. While some people prefer to have fixed (or permanent) crown and bridgework in their mouths, it is important to discuss any health concerns and preferences with your dentist. Your health is our biggest concern.
You should continue routine oral hygiene by brushing the dentures, gums and tongue twice a day. While false teeth won’t become damaged by decay, plaque can still build up and cause gum disease and bad breath. Flossing daily will help remove any debris and prevent gum disease and bad breath.
What is the Cost of Implant-Supported Dentures in Silver Spring?
As always, there are several factors that can influence the cost of getting implant-supported dentures. They include:
- The health of any existing teeth
- Gum health
- The number of teeth that need replacement (complete or partial dentures)
- The number of implants needed (usually 4 for the lower jaw and 6 for the upper jaw)
- Type of dentures (custom, porcelain, full or partial dentures)
- Insurance coverage
If you think you may be a good candidate for implant-supported dentures, or suffer from unstable dentures (especially in the lower jaw), contact best dentist in Cloverly & Silver Spring to set up a consultation and discuss if dentures supported by implants are the best option available to you.