Preventive Dentistry in Cloverly & Silver Spring, Maryland
With the cost of a full-mouth reconstruction today reaching as much as $80,000, one of the best investments anybody can make is to take good care of their natural teeth by utilizing preventative dentistry in Cloverly & Silver Spring. Just a little bit of work now can prevent much more work from becoming mandatory later in life.
The main emphasis of best preventative dentistry is the daily practices required to prevent tooth decay and other dental diseases and conditions. The most effective Silver Spring preventative dentistry will combine chairside treatments, counseling by our dental professionals and proper oral care at home. It is recommended by the American Dental Association that everyone receives a minimum of two dental examinations each year, with a professional cleaning, to properly manage any developing conditions. By attending regular check-ups and cleanings, you will enable your dentist to stop dental disease in its earliest stages to limit the cost of any necessary procedures.
When Should My Child Begin Preventative Dentistry?
As soon as your child has his/her first tooth come in, you should be scheduling an appointment with your dentist to prepare an effective preventative dentistry plan. This first appointment should be scheduled no later that your child’s first birthday.
Call Silver Spring dental offices at (301) 236-9000 to schedule an appointment!
What Does Effective Preventative Dentistry Consist Of?
Effective strategies for preventative care for both children and adults are:
- Brushing and flossing- The most effective strategy to ensure a healthy smile is to brush and floss your teeth twice a day at a minimum. By brushing and flossing every day, you will remove dental plaque that, if not removed, can build up and produce dental tartar. Dental tartar is a hardened, sticky substance with acid producing bacteria that will lead to tooth decay and gum disease.
- Fluoride- When you receive your bi-annual checkups and cleaning, you will receive fluoride treatments from our office. It is also recommended that you brush with a fluoride toothpaste because fluoride strengthens teeth and prevents tooth decay.
- Diet- Foods with sugars and carbohydrates feed bacteria that produce dental plaque, and low calcium diets will increase your chance of developing gum disease. Due to these reasons, a proper diet is essential to your dental health.
- Dental Cleanings and Screenings- As mentioned above, it is important to visit the best dentist in Silver Spring at least two times a year for cleanings and screenings. By doing so, your dentist can remove the plaque that you may not be able to remove yourself through normal brushing and your teeth can be checked for early signs of tooth decay.
- X-Rays- There are many signs of dental problems that the naked eye cannot detect. To find these problems, such as cavities between teeth and problems in the roots of your teeth, it is recommended that you have your teeth x-rayed during your visits with the dentist.
- Patient Education- Patients who have an understanding of what can happen as a result of poor oral hygiene are more likely to see Dr. Keith for Chevy Chase preventative dentistry treatments.
What are the Benefits of Preventative Dentistry?
Your oral health is a very important aspect of your overall health, so preventative dentistry is important to your overall well-being. Oral diseases can interfere with eating, speaking, daily activities, and confidence/self-esteem. Preventative dentistry is especially beneficial for children because severe decay can affect growth and development. The most important benefit to preventative dentistry is that the cost of repairing dental conditions can be significantly reduced when you catch any problems as soon as they develop. Call us today to schedule your appointment for your checkup and cleaning to ensure you can continue to have a brilliant smile for a lifetime!