What are Dental Veneers?
When you have worn tooth enamel, uneven tooth alignment or spacing, discoloration, and chips or cracks in your teeth, an effective treatment will be to have dental veneers installed. Dental veneers in Silver Spring are shells or layers of tooth-colored porcelain or composite that get placed over the problem teeth and get permanently mounted in place.
Even though dental veneers are typically thought of as a cosmetic dentistry procedure because of the resulting brilliance, they also pose a few functional advantages as they also protect the surface of damaged teeth.
What Problems can Veneers Fix?
There are many reasons that can cause unsightly teeth. Fortunately, veneers can treat most of these issues in as little as one visit:
- Worn Enamel- There is a thin substance that is mostly translucent that covers and protects your teeth called enamel. Over time, the enamel on your teeth may become discolored, dulled, and worn down. These issues can happen either due to genetics or a natural occurrence. More often, worn enamel happens as a result of consuming soft drinks, tea or coffee, smoking, certain medications, etc. A veneer that is placed over a tooth will act as a new enamel to continue protecting your teeth from more serious problems.
- Wear and Tear- As people get older, their teeth naturally wear down. Older people will often find that their teeth have more chips and cracks than their younger counterparts, as well. Veneers can easily be placed over worn down teeth to restore a healthy and youthful appearance.
- Genetics- Many people have spacing between their teeth that gradually grow bigger with time. Most often, this issue is completely genetic. Relatively small gaps can be easily patched up with veneers.
- Uneven teeth- General wear and tear and tooth grinding can result in teeth that appear uneven. Veneers are an excellent fix for uneven teeth.
What are the Benefits of Veneers?
- Because veneers are individually sculpted for each patient, it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between a veneer and a natural tooth.
- Unlike natural teeth, custom-made veneers resist coffee and tea stains, and cigarette smoke because they are made of high-tech materials.
- With veneers—as opposed to crowns—your natural teeth remain largely intact with only a minimal amount being altered to fit the veneer.
- For teeth that resist whitening, veneers can make even the darkest teeth appear bright white.
How Much do Silver Spring Veneers Cost?
The cost of dental veneers can vary drastically from person to person depending on severity and the number of veneers that need to be installed. Typically, the cost of veneers range from $500 to $1300 per tooth. The cost of veneers is not generally covered by insurance; but to be sure, check with your dental insurance company before paying out of pocket. If your insurance will not cover the treatment, a payment plan can easily be implemented through the office of the best cosmetic dentist in Silver Spring.
How do I Maintain My Porcelain Veneers?
To care for your new veneers, all you have to do is treat them like your regular teeth by brushing and flossing, as usual. Typically we will recommend that you use non-abrasive fluoride toothpaste.
One week after your veneers are placed, you will be required to return to our office for a follow-up visit and evaluation so we can ensure that your mouth is reacting properly to the veneers. Even if you feel the veneers are a success, this appointment is vital to your future oral health.
If you have the habit of biting and clenching teeth, you will most likely be fitted with a mouthguard to protect your teeth and veneers from damage.
You should also return for regular professional maintenance because porcelain veneers should be polished with a specially formulated, non-abrasive paste, and because it will be important to check for any issues that may arise down the road from regular wear and tear.
Call Silver Spring cosmetic dentistry at (301) 236-9000 to schedule an appointment!